Thursday, January 26, 2012

Painting and the Color Wheel

Mr Ronald asked me to expand on something I mentioned a while back about the color wheel and painting.

All too often, we look at an object and say, "this part is in shadow so I will use cool colors to define it, and I will use warm colors to define my highlights." or vise versa.... But! When you reeeeeaaaaally look at the colors within any particular shape and value, you will see amazing variations of reds, blues, yellows, and their combinations.
Colors reflect off of everything around a subject. Look for it. The biggest mistake every artist makes at one time in his or her life is the assumption that an orange is actually orange.

The more I look for slight variations within a color, the more colors I see. If I can do it, anyone can.

Does that help?

No comments: