Thursday, February 26, 2009

WIP - reflections

This was looking like a complete mess when I stopped painting this afternoon. But! now that I see it another way (through the eyes of the camera) I can see that it is coming together.

One of the reasons I love painting reflections on water is that it really forces me to paint what I see. Lay down the color that I see, and not the shape that I know this object should have. I also love how such a big fat mess will suddenly explode into life.

A lot of people say painting water is hard. Its really not, as long as you paint what is there. Paint what you see, not what you know. Paint what you see, not what you know! I have to remind myself to do that constantly... especially when painting water.

I like the composition of this painting. I think I could happily do another painting with even less of the sky and boats and dock fodder and more of the reflections.

I am really enjoying just painting this painting. It is challenging, but I feel more comfortable with each painting I complete. Like my joints are loosening up and I can stretch... and breath.

I look forward to seeing how this one turns out!

No comments: