Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Varney' Chemist Laden - WIP


"I do wonderful work in a wonderful way, my wonderful work feels like wonderful play, I give a wonderful service for wonderful pay."

We have the greatest jobs in the world folks! I had so much fun tonight. I felt so free and excited running up and down Main Street looking for the perfect painting spot tonight. It is rainy and cold out there, but man oh man, I had fun. The shop that currently resides in this building is called something like Granny's attic, but it will always be Varney's to me. My mom saw the painting and said "Oh! It's the Domino Parlor!" I remember that name too, but when it was Varney's Chemist Laden it was crammed with the cutest, softest stuffed animals, barrels of funky smelling stuff in the middle of the room just as you walked in, and one very special wall that seemed lined floor to ceiling with jars of old fashioned candies. I would go there with my best friend one summer and we would get Swizzle Stix- colored, crystallized sugar in wooden sticks with a varnished wooden ball on the handle- i loved the look f them just as much as the glory of pure sugar on the tongue. They also had this pale gray and white cat that looked so perfect he would take people by surprise when he moved among all the stuffed critters in the shop. He would sit at the window in the evening, after the store had closed, and watched the people walk by. He was so so soft. Mmm... good memories! Every time I walk past that place, I feel like a teeny bopper again.

I am looking forward to going out again tomorrow! What a wonderful painting experience.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your story and look forward to watching the process.

labrown said...

These are looking great Sara. Liking the bigger paintings too! Glad you came back to blogland. I was wondering wassup! Take care/ Lee.

Dana Cooper said...

Loved the memories! Can't wait to see how this develops!!

Marian Fortunati said...

Sara,
This start is extraordinary!!

Wow...

Kristen's Paintings said...

I like all three stages of this painting, but I REALLY like the sketchy, minimalist look of the painting when you first started!