Monday, January 19, 2009

Some more oldies but goodies

8"x 10"
Oil on canvas board

I had a favorite painting spot outside of Grand Junction. It was surrounded by nothing, full of sky, and all mine. Most of my skyscapes were painted out there. This particular evening gave me a wealth of reference photos. A storm was blowing in, it was right around sunset- the golden hour. There is always such a wonderful surge of energy that comes with a big storm like that. Seems to wake up every cell in the body.

This was one of my favorites at the time, but I am not so impressed with the painting itself now. It must have been the emotional experience attached to the piece. It was bought by The Gallery Bed and Breakfast in Grand Junction, Colorado. .. I think... If you get a chance, check them out. That place is awesome, just vibrating with creativity. They have some of my favorite artists renting studio spaces there.





8"x 10"
Oil on canvas board

This was a little stone shack on the edge of some orchards in Palisade, Colorado. The cherry trees were in bloom and that big blue mass in the background is the Mesa. I took my glasses off for the first half of the painting process, and really tried to concentrate on the tonal values rather than familiar shapes. I was quite happy with this one at the time, and am pleased to find that I still am.




8"x 10"
Oil on canvas board

This one was not very popular, but I like it. It is very moody. I see things in it now that I didn't before. My absolute favorite part of this painting is the wet sand, where the waves are pulling back after swallowing the beach. This was painted on tide-pooling trip to Oregon a couple of years ago. It was my first experience painting in the Oregon drizzle. Believe it or not, painting in the rain was somewhat exhilarating. Like nothing could stop me from doing what I enjoy- not even the weather!


No comments: